Report of the Mission Board for Cancer - Conquering Cancer: Mission Possible
25 September 2020
The new Report of the Mission Board for Cancer ‘Conquering Cancer: Mission Possible’ is the Mission Board’s proposal to the European Commission for a Mission on Cancer. This Mission outline will be used as a basis for further stakeholder and citizen engagement activities in the remainder of 2020 and define a broad strategy for the Horizon Europe Framework Programme.
Synergies will be developed with national cancer plans and other programmes of Member States, with other Horizon Europe Missions and research and investment programmes, as well as with other EU policies and actions, in particular the Europe’s Beating Cancer Plan. The final Mission on Cancer report, due in December 2020, will feed the work programmes of Horizon Europe.
There are 13 recommendations under the following headlines:
- Launch UNCAN.eu – a European Initiative to Understand Cancer
- Develop an EU-wide research programme to identify (poly-) genic risk scores
- Support the development and implementation of effective cancer prevention strategies and policies within Member States and the EU
- Optimise existing screening programmes and develop novel approaches for screening and early detection
- Advance and implement personalised medicine approaches for all cancer patients in Europe
- Develop an EU-wide research programme on early diagnostic and minimally invasive treatment technologies
- Develop an EU-wide research programme and policy support to improve the quality of life of cancer patients and survivors, family members and carers, and all persons with an increased risk of cancer
- Create a European Cancer Patient Digital Centre where cancer patients and survivors can deposit and share their data for personalised care
- Achieve Cancer Health Equity in the EU across the continuum of the disease
- Set up a network of Comprehensive Cancer Infrastructures within and across all EU Member States to increase quality of research and care
- Childhood cancers and cancers in adolescents and young adults: cure more and cure better
- Accelerate innovation and implementation of new technologies and create Oncology-focused Living Labs to conquer cancer
- Transform cancer culture, communication and capacity building
Further information, including the full outline document, is available here.