Professor Emeritus of Health Economics
Stockholm School of Economics, Sweden
Before joining the SSE in 1990 he was professor at Linköping University, Department of Health and Society, 1982-1990. He was founding director of the Swedish Institute for Health Economics (IHE) in Lund from 1979 to 1982 and is now chair of IHE board. He is a member of the European Academy of Cancer Sciences, and was vice chair of EXPH, the EU Expert Panel on effective ways of Investing in health 2013-2016.
He has been a member of the Karolinska University Hospital Board, of the National Social Insurance Board in Sweden, and of SBU (The Swedish Council on Technology Assessment in Health Care), Scientific Advisory Board 1988-2004.
Professor Jönsson is a member of the editorial boards of several journals, including the Journal of Cancer Policy and International Journal of Technology Assessment in Health Care. He is past president of SHEA, the Swedish Health Economics Association and of iHEA, the international Health Economists Association. He was the recipient of the 2014 ISPOR Avedis Donabedian Outcomes Research Lifetime Achievement Award.
- Jönsson B and Sullivan R Mission-oriented translational cancer research – health economics. Molecular Oncology 13 (2019) 636–647
- Jönsson B et al Advanced therapy medicinal products and health technology assessment-principles and practices for value-based and sustainable healthcare. Eur J Health Econ (2018) https://doi.org/10.1007/s10198-018-1007-x
- Jönsson B. Disruptive innovation and EU health policy. Eur J Health Econ. (2017) Apr;18(3):269-272.
- Jönsson, B (editor) Value and cancer. Cancer Policy Vol 11, Pages 1-64 (March 2017)
- Jönsson B, Hofmarcher T, Lindgren P, Wilking N. The cost and burden of cancer in the European Union 1995-2014. Eur J Cancer. (2016) 66:162-70.
- Jönsson, B., Hofmarcher, T., Lindgren, P., Wilking, N. Comparator report on patient access to cancer medicines in Europe revisited. IHE Report 2016:4, IHE: Lund. (www.ihe.se)
- Jönsson B Bringing in health technology assessment and cost-effectiveness considerations at an early stage of drug development. Mol Oncol 9 (2015), 1025–1033.
- Jönsson B. Technology assessment for new oncology drugs. Clin Cancer Res. 2013 J19(1):6-11.
Updated: September 2020