- The European Code of Cancer Practice www.europeancancer.org/code
- Lawler M, Le Chevalier T, Banks I, et al. European Cancer Concord (ECC). A Bill of Rights for patients with cancer in Europe. Lancet Oncol 2014; 15 (3): 258-260.
- Lawler M, Le Chevalier T, Murphy MJ, et al. A catalyst for change: the European cancer Patient's Bill of Rights. Oncologist 2014; 19 (3): 217-224.
- Lawler M, Banks I, Law K, et al. The European Cancer Patient’s Bill of Rights, update and implementation 2016. ESMO Open 2016; 1: e000127.
- Cancer Control Joint Action European Guide on Quality Improvement in Comprehensive Cancer Control. Eds Albreht T, Kiasuwa R, Van den Bulcke M. National Institute of Public Health, Trubarjeva 2, 1000 Ljubljana, Slovenia, 2017.
- Comparator Report on Cancer in Europe 2019 - Disease Burden, Costs and Access to Medicines. Hofmarcher T, Brådvik G, Svedman C et al. IHE Report 2019:7. IHE: Lund, Sweden.
- Problem Solving in Patient-Centred and Integrated Cancer Care. Eds Velikova G, Fallowfield L, Younger J, Board R, Selby P. EBN Health, Oxford, 2018.
- Policy Paper on Tackling Social Inequalities in Cancer Prevention and Control for the European Population. Peiró Pérez R, Molina Barceló A, De Lorenzo F et al.
- Towards sustainable cancer care: Reducing inefficiencies, improving outcomes - A policy report from the All.Can initiative. Wait S, Han D, Muthu V et al. Journal of Cancer Policy, Volume 13, September 2017, Pages 47-64.
- European Cancer Patient Coalition (ECPC). Challenging the Europe of disparities in cancer: A framework for improved survival and better quality of life for European cancer patients. On Behalf of the Europe of Disparities in Cancer Working Group (Chair: Lawler M, Members: Apostolidis K, Banks I, Florindi F, Militaru M, Price R, Sullivan R, De Lorenzo F.
- European Partnership for Action Against Cancer (EPAAC) 2009 www.epaac.eu
Boosting Innovation and Cooperation in European Cancer Control. Martin-Moreno JM, Albreht T, Radoš Krnel S. National Institute of Public Health of the Republic of Slovenia and the World Health Organization.
- iPAAC Joint Action Leaflet https://www.ipaac.eu/res/file/ipaac-joint-action-leaflet.pdf
- European Cancer Organisation https://www.europeancancer.org
- Lawler M, Naredi P, Cufer T et al. Moonshot or groundshot: addressing Europe's cancer challenge through a patient-focused, data-enabled lens. Lancet Oncology European Groundshot Commission. Lancet Oncol. 2019 Nov; 20(11): 1482-1485.
- European Commission (2020). Conquering cancer: mission possible, European Union, Luxembourg.
- European Commission (2020) Europe’s Beating Cancer Plan: Factsheet https://ec.europa.eu/health/sites/health/files/non_communicable_ diseases/docs/ev_20200204_factsheet_en.pdf.
- Allemani C, Matsuda T, Di Carlo V et al. Global surveillance of trends in cancer survival 2000-14 (CONCORD-3): analysis of individual records for 37 513 025 patients diagnosed with one of 18 cancers from 322 population-based registries in 71 countries. Lancet 2018; 391 (10125): 1023-1075.
- Identifying critical steps towards improved access to innovation in cancer care: a European CanCer Organisation position paper. Aapro M, Astier A, Audisio R et al. Eur J Cancer. 2017 Sep;82:193-202.
- Taking action on cancer together: delivering the future of cancer medicines in Europe. EFPIA, October 2018.
- Horgan D, Borisch B, Richer E et al. Propelling Health Care into the Twenties. Biomed Hub 2020; 5: 15-67.
- Problem Solving through Precision Oncology. Eds Copson E, Hall P, Board R, Cook G, Selby P. Clinical Publishing, Oxford, 2017.
- Problem Solving in Cancer Immunotherapy. Eds Board R, Nathan P, Newsom-Davis T, Papa S, Johnson P. EBN Health, Oxford, 2019.
- Thompson MK, Poortmans P, Chalmers AJ et al. Practice-changing radiation therapy trials for the treatment of cancer: where are we 150 years after the birth of Marie Curie? Br J Cancer 2018; 119 (4): 389-407.
- Garibaldi C, Jereczek-Fossa BA, Marvaso G et al. Recent advances in radiation oncology. Ecancermedicalscience 2017; 11: 785.
- European Society of Surgical Oncology https://www.essoweb.org
- Meara JG, Leather AJ, Hagander L et al. Global Surgery 2030: evidence and solutions for achieving health, welfare, and economic development. Lancet. 2015; 386 (9993): 569-624.
- Borras JM, Lievens Y, Dunscombe P et al. The optimal utilization proportion of external beam radiotherapy in European countries: An ESTRO-HERO analysis. Radiother Oncol 2015; 116 (1): 38-44.
- La Vecchia C, Rota M, Malvezzi M et al. Potential for improvement in cancer management: reducing mortality in the European Union. Oncologist 2015; 20: 495-498.
- The European Code against Cancer https://cancer-code-europe.iarc.fr/index.php/en
- Rubin G, Berendsen A, Crawford SM, et al. The expanding role of primary care in cancer
control. Lancet Oncol 2015; 16: 1231–72.
- Neal RD, Tharmanathan P, France B, et al. Is increased time to diagnosis and treatment in symptomatic cancer associated with poorer outcomes? Systematic review. Br J Cancer 2015; 112 (suppl 1): S92–107.
- Rossi S, Baili P, Capocaccia R et al. The EUROCARE-5 study on cancer survival in Europe 1999-2007: Database, quality checks and statistical analysis methods. Eur J Cancer 2015; 51 (15): 2104-2119.
- Lawler M, Selby P, Aapro MS et al. Ageism in cancer care. BMJ 2014; 348: 1614.
- Problem Solving in Older Cancer Patients. Eds Ring A, Harari D, Kalsi T, Mansi J, Selby P. Clinical Publishing, Oxford, 2016.
- International Society of Geriatric Oncology https://www.siog.org
- Wouters MW, Michielin O, Bastiaannet E et al. European Cancer Organisation Essential Requirements for Quality Cancer Care: Melanoma. Critical Reviews in Oncology/Hematology 2018, 122, 164-178.
- Andritsch E, Beishon M, Bielack S et al. European Cancer Organisation Essential Requirements for Quality Cancer Care: Soft Tissue Sarcoma in Adults and Bone Sarcoma. A critical review. Critical Reviews in Oncology/Hematology 2017, 110, 94-105.
- Allum W, Lordick F, Alsina M et al. European Cancer Organisation Essential Requirements for Quality Cancer Care: Oesophageal and gastric cancer. Critical Reviews in Oncology/Hematology 2018, 122, 179-193.
- Beets G, Sebag-Montefiore D, Andritsch E et al. European Cancer Organisation Essential Requirements for Quality Cancer Care: Colorectal Cancer. A critical review. Critical Reviews in Oncology/Hematology 2017; 110: 81-93.
- Brausi M, Hoskin, P, Andritsch E t al. European Cancer Organisation Essential Requirements for Quality Cancer Care: Prostate cancer. Critical Reviews in Oncology/Hematology, 2020, 148, 102861.
- Biganzoli L, Cardoso F, Beishon M. The requirements of a specialist breast centre. The Breast 2020, 51, 65-84.
- Banks I, Weller D, Ungan M et al. European Cancer Organisation Essential Requirements for Quality Cancer Care: Primary care. Critical Reviews in Oncology/Hematology 2019, 142, 187-199.
- Berghmans T, Lievens Y, Aapro M et al. European Cancer Organisation Essential Requirements for Quality Cancer Care: Lung cancer. Accepted for Lung Cancer, 29 August 2020.
- European Society for Medical Oncology https://www.esmo.org/guidelines
- European Society for Radiotherapy and Oncology https://www.estro.org
- European Alliance for Personalised Medicine https://www.euapm.eu
- European Public Health Association https://eupha.org
- Association of European Cancer Leagues https://www.europeancancerleagues.org/
- European Oncology Nursing Society https://www.cancernurse.eu
- European Society of Oncology Pharmacy https://esop.li
- European Society of Radiology https://www.myesr.org
- European Society of Pathology https://www.esp-pathology.org
- European Organisation for Research and Treatment of Cancer https://www.eortc.org
- European Society for Paediatric Oncology https://siope.eu
- International Psycho-oncology Society https://www.ipos-society.org
- British Psychosocial Oncology Society https://www.bpos.org
- European Association for Palliative Care https://www.eapcnet.eu
- Working Group on Cancer in Adolescents and Young Adults (AYA) https://www.esmo.org/about-esmo/organisational-structure/educational-committee/adolescents-and-young-adults-working-group
- Fallowfield L, Selby P. The communication challenges when providing patient-centred care. In Problem Solving in Patient-Centred and Integrated Cancer Care. Eds Velikova G, Fallowfield L, Younger J, Board R, Selby P. EBN Health, Oxford, 2018.
- Cancer Core Europe: A European cancer research alliance realizing a research infrastructure with critical mass and programmatic approach to cure cancer in the 21st century. Calvo F, Apolone G, Baumann M et al. Eur J Cancer 2018 Nov; 103: 155-159.
- Albreht T, Berling C, Ferrari C, Kaasa S, Travado L. Survivorship and rehabilitation: recommendations from a European perspective. In Problem Solving in Patient-Centred and Integrated Cancer Care. Eds Velikova G, Fallowfield L, Younger J, Board R, Selby P. EBN Health, Oxford, 2018.
- Rehabilitation and return to work after cancer - instruments and practices. European Risk Observatory Report. European Agency for Safety and Health at Work. Luxembourg: Publications Office of the European Union, 2018. ISSN: 1831-9343.
- De Lorenzo F, Apostolidis K, Florindi et al. Improving European policy to support cancer survivors. Journal of Cancer Policy 2018; 15, 72-75.
- Lagergren P, Schandl A, Aaronson NK et al. Cancer survivorship: an integral part of Europe's research agenda. Molecular Oncology 2019; 13 (3): 624-635.
- European Cancer Patient Coalition https://ecpc.org/news-events/new-ecpc-website/
- European School of Oncology https://www.eso.net/
- The Expert Advisory Group on Cancer to the Chief Medical Officers of England and Wales. A policy framework for commissioning cancer services: a report by the Expert Advisory Group on Cancer to the Chief Medical Officers of England and Wales.
https://webarchive.nationalarchives.gov.uk/20080817211349/http://www.dh.gov.uk/en/Publicationsandstatistics/Publications/PublicationsPolicyAndGuidance/DH_4071083?IdcService=GET_FILE&dID=17110&Rendition=Web. Published April 1995. Accessed March 15, 2019.
- Abrahams E, Foti M, Kean MA. Accelerating the delivery of patient-centred, high-quality cancer care. Clin Cancer Res 2015; 21: 2263–7.
- Organisation of European Cancer Institutes https://www.oeci.eu
- Lievens Y, Borras JP, Grau C. Provision and use of radiotherapy in Europe. Mol Oncol 2020 Jul; 14 (7): 1461–1469.
- Policy Paper on Tackling Social Inequalities in Cancer Prevention and Control for the European Population Peiró Pérez R, Molina Barceló A, De Lorenzo F et al. Recommendation 11, 25.
- Grau C, Defourny N, Malicki J et al. Radiotherapy equipment and departments in the European countries: final results from the ESTRO-HERO survey. Radiother Oncol 2014; 112 (2): 155-164.
- Halm EA, Lee C, Chassin MR. Is volume related to outcome in health care? A systematic review and methodologic critique of the literature. Ann Intern Med 2002 Sep 17; 137 (6): 511-20.
- Glasgow RE, Mulvihill SJ. Hospital volume influences outcome in patients undergoing pancreatic resection for cancer. West J Med 1996; 165 (5): 294-300.
- Begg CB, Cramer LD, Hoskins WJ, Brennan MF. Impact of hospital volume on operative mortality for major cancer surgery. JAMA 1998; 280 (20): 1747-1751.
- Cheung MC, Hamilton K, Sherman R et al. Impact of teaching facility status and high-volume centers on outcomes for lung cancer resection: an examination of 13,469 surgical patients. Ann Surg Oncol 2009; 16 (1): 3-13.
- Wang S, Lai S, von Itzstein MS, et al. Type and case volume of health care facility influences survival and surgery selection in cases with early-stage non-small cell lung cancer. Cancer 2019; 125 (23): 4252-4259.
- Freifeld Y, Woldu SL, Singla N et al. Impact of Hospital Case Volume on Outcomes Following Radical Nephrectomy and Inferior Vena Cava Thrombectomy. Eur Urol Oncol 2019; 2 (6): 691-698.
- Torabi SJ, Benchetrit L, Kuo Yu P et al. Prognostic Case Volume Thresholds in Patients With Head and Neck Squamous Cell Carcinoma. JAMA Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 2019; 145 (8): 708-715.
- Avdic D, Lundborg P, Vikström J. Estimating returns to hospital volume: Evidence from advanced cancer surgery. J Health Econ 2019; 63: 81-99.
- Raj R, Seppä K, Luostarinen T et al. Disparities in glioblastoma survival by case volume: a nationwide observational study. J Neurooncol. 2020; 147 (2): 361-370.
- Integration of Cancer Care between Primary Care and Hospitals. Selby P, Hall G, Dusek L et al. In Problem Solving in Patient-Centred and Integrated Cancer Care. Eds Velikova G, Fallowfield L, Younger J, Board R, Selby P. EBN Health, Oxford, 2018.
- Patient Engagement and Empowerment: Key Components of Effective Patient-Centred Care, Butcher H, Selby P. In Problem Solving in Patient-Centred and Integrated Cancer Care. Eds Velikova G, Fallowfield L, Younger J, Board R, Selby P. EBN Health, Oxford, 2018.
- European Patients Forum https://www.eu-patient.eu/
- INVOLVE https://www.involve.org.uk/
- Pekonen A, Eloranta S, Stolt M et al. Measuring patient empowerment - A systematic review. Patient Educ Couns 2020 Apr; 103(4): 777-787.
- Venetis M, Robinson J, Turkiewicz KL et al. An evidence base for patient-centred cancer care: a meta-analysis of studies of observed communication between cancer specialists and their patients. Patient Educ Couns 2009; 77: 379–83.
- European Cancer Patients Coalition https://ecpc.org/about-us/our-strategy/
- Pollard JM, Wen Z, Sadagopan R et al. The future of image-guided radiotherapy will be MR guided. Br J Radiol 2017; 90 (1073): 20160667.
- Allen AM, Pawlicki T, Dong L et al. An evidence based review of proton beam therapy: the report of ASTRO's emerging technology committee. Radiother Oncol 2012; 103 (1): 8-11.
- Cornelis FH, Lotz JP. Interventional Oncology: A new pillar for a comprehensive cancer care. Presse Med 2019 Jul-Aug;48 (7-8 Pt 2):e217-e218.
- National Cancer Institute, Physical Sciences in Oncology https://physics.cancer.gov/
- The European Academy of Cancer Sciences https://www.europeancanceracademy.eu/
- The European Health Forum Awards, Gastein, 2018 www.ehfg.org/archive/2018/eha
- De Angelis R, Sant M, Coleman MP et al. Cancer survival in Europe 1999-2007 by country and age: results of EUROCARE-5 - a population-based study. Lancet Oncol. 2014; 15 (1): 23-34.
- International Cancer Benchmarking Project https://www.cancerresearchuk.org/health-professional/data-and-statistics/international-cancer-benchmarking-partnership-icbp/publications
- World Health Organization. Metrics: Disability-Adjusted Life Year (DALY). Available from
- Althin R, Färe R, Gralen K et al. Efficiency and productivity of cancer care in Europe. Journal of Cancer Policy 2019; 21: 100-194.
- Allemani C, Storm H, Voogd AC et al. Variation in standard care for breast cancer across Europe: a EUROCARE-3 high resolution study European Journal of Cancer 46, 1528-1536.
- Rosato R, Sacerdote C, Pagano E et al. Appropriateness of early breast cancer management in relation to patient and hospital characteristics: a population based study in Northern Italy. Breast Cancer Res Treat 2009; 117 (2): 349-56.
- Bouche G, Migeot V, Mathoulin-Pélissier S et al. Breast cancer surgery: do all patients want to go to high-volume hospitals? Surgery 2008; 143 (6): 699-705
- Berglund A, Garmo H, Robinson D et al. Differences according to socioeconomic status in the management and mortality in men with high risk prostate cancer. Eur J Cancer 2012; 48 (1): 75-84.
- Prades J, Algara M, Espinàs JA et al. Understanding variations in the use of hypofractionated radiotherapy and its specific indications for breast cancer: A mixed-methods study. Radiother Oncol 2017; 123 (1): 22-28.
- Petrushevski AN, Gabriel GS, Hanna TP et al. Factors affecting the use of single-fraction radiotherapy for the palliation of bone metastases in Australia. Clin Oncol (R Coll Radiol). 2015; 27 (4): 205-212.
- Lievens Y, Kesteloot K, Rijnders A et al. Differences in palliative radiotherapy for bone metastases within Western European countries. Radiother Oncol 2000; 56 (3): 297-303.
- Sutton DS, Kong W, Ding K et al. The use of palliative radiotherapy for bone metastasis. Radiother Oncol 2010; 97 (3): 548-553.
- Breugom AJ, Boelens PG, van den Broek CB et al. Quality assurance in the treatment of colorectal cancer: the EURECCA initiative. Ann Oncol 2014; 25 (8): 1485-1492.
- de Azambuja E, Ameye L, Paesmans M et al. The landscape of medical oncology in Europe by 2020. Ann Oncol 2014; 25 (2): 525-528.
- Lievens Y, Defourny N, Coffey M et al. Radiotherapy staffing in the European countries: final results from the ESTRO-HERO survey. Radiother Oncol 2014; 112 (2): 178-186.
- Institute of Medicine. Crossing the quality chasm: a new health system for the 21st century. Washington, DC: National Academies Press, 2001.
- Fallowfield L, Jenkins V, Farewell V, et al. Efficacy of a Cancer Research UK communication skills training model for oncologists: a randomised controlled trial. Lancet 2002; 359: 650–6.
- Payne J (2014). Breaking bad news. Available from: https://patient.info/doctor/breaking-badnews (accessed 20 July 2017).
- Royal College of Surgeons UK https://www.rcseng.ac.uk/patient-care/surgical-staff-and-regulation/surgical-outcomes/
- Borras JM, Albreht T, Audisio R et al. Policy statement on multidisciplinary cancer care. Eur J Cancer 2014; 50: 475-480.
- The Value and Future Developments of Multidisciplinary Team Cancer Care. Selby P, Popescu R, Lawler M et al. Am Soc Clin Oncol Educ Book 2019 Jan; 39: 332-340.
- Albreht T, Amati C, Angelastro A, et al. Integrated cancer control: the case for comprehensive cancer care networks (CCCN). In Albreht T, Kiasuwa T, Van den Bulcke M, eds. European guide on quality improvement in comprehensive cancer control. Ljubljana: National Institute of Public Health, 2017, 77-104.
- NHS National Cancer Action Team. The Characteristics of an Effective Multidisciplinary Team (MDT). www.ncin.org.uk/view?rid=136. Accessed March 15, 2019.
- Kesson EM, Allardice GM, George WD, et al. Effects of multidisciplinary team working on breast cancer survival: retrospective, comparative, interventional cohort study of 13722 women. BMJ 2012; 344:1-9.
- Taplin SH, Weaver A, Salas E et al. Reviewing cancer care team effectiveness. J Oncol Pract 2015; 11: 239-246.
- Soukup T, Gandamihardja TAK, McInerney S et al. Do multidisciplinary cancer care teams suffer decision-making fatigue: an observational, longitudinal team improvement study. BMJ Open 2019 May 27; 9(5): e027303.
- Lamprell K, Arnolda G, Delaney GP et al. The challenge of putting principles into practice: Resource tensions and real-world constraints in multidisciplinary oncology team meetings. Asia Pac J Clin Oncol 2019 Aug; 15(4): 199-207.
- Prades J, Morando V, Tozzi VD et al. Managing cancer care through service delivery networks: The role of professional collaboration in two European cancer networks. Health Serv Manage Res 2018 Aug; 31(3): 120-129.
- Ray-Coquard I, Philip T, de Laroche G et al. A controlled "before-after" study: impact of a clinical guidelines programme and regional cancer network organization on medical practice. Br J Cancer 2002; 86 (3): 313-321.
- Ray-Coquard I, Philip T, de Laroche G et al. Persistence of medical change at implementation of clinical guidelines on medical practice: a controlled study in a cancer network. J Clin Oncol 2005; 23 (19): 4414-4423.
- Borràs JM, Boyd A, Martinez-Villacampa M et al. Lessons learned in the implementation of a cancer network in Catalonia. Journal of Management & Marketing in Healthcare, 2009, 2: 174-183.
- NHS Commissioning Board. Proposals for Clinical Networks in the modernised NHS. Report NHSBSA, London, UK, February 2012.
- Edwards N. Clinical networks. Advantages include flexibility, strength, speed, and focus on clinical issues. BMJ 2002; 324 (7329): 63.
- Livingston M, Woods K. Evaluating managed clinical networks for cancer services. Scotland International Journal of Integrated Care 2003, 3: 1-16.
- Walpole E, Smithers M, Cossio D et al. Multidisciplinary cancer care in Australia. Asia Pac J Clin Oncol 2019 Aug; 15(4): 197-198.
- Thiels CA, Hanson KT, Habermann EB et al. Integrated cancer networks improve compliance with national guidelines and outcomes for resectable gastric cancer. Cancer. 2020 Mar 15; 126(6): 1283-1294.
- Gigerenzer G, Gaissmaier W, Kurz-Milcke E et al. Helping Doctors and Patients Make Sense of Health Statistics. Psychol Sci Public Interest 2007; 8 (2): 53-96.
- Keating NL, Beth Landrum M, Arora NK et al. Cancer patients’ roles in treatment decisions: do characteristics of the decision influence roles? J Clin Oncol 2010; 28: 4364–70.
- Ring A, Harder H, Langridge C et al. Adjuvant Chemotherapy in Elderly Women with Breast Cancer (AChEW): an observational study identifying MDT perceptions and barriers to decision making. Ann Oncol 2013; 24: 1211–19.
- Wilding S, Downing A, Selby P et al. Decision regret in men living with and beyond non-metastatic prostate cancer in the United Kingdom: A population-based patient-reported outcome study. Psychooncology May 2020, Volume 29, Issue 5, 886-893.
- Smith LI, Dayal S, Murray J et al. Attitudes towards breast conservation in patients aged over 70 with breast cancer. Springerplus 2016; 5: 478.
- O'Connor AM, Bennett CL, Stacey D et al. Decision aids for people facing health treatment or screening decisions. Cochrane Database Syst Rev 2009; (3): CD001431.
- Ringborg U. Translational cancer research – a coherent cancer research continuum
Mol Oncol 2019 Mar; 13 (3): 517–520.
- Unger JM, LeBlanc M, Blanke CD. The effect of positive SWOG treatment trials on survival of patients with cancer in the US population. JAMA Oncol 2017; Oct 1; 3 (10): 1345-1351.
- Vist G, Bryant D, Somerville L et al. Outcomes of patients who participate in randomized controlled trials compared to similar patients receiving similar interventions who do not participate. Cochrane Database Syst Rev 2008; Jul 16;(3):MR000009.
- Boaz A, Hanney S, Jones T et al. Does the engagement of clinicians and organisations in research improve healthcare performance: a three-stage review. BMJ Open 5; 2015: e009415.
- Jonker L, Fisher SJ, Dagnan D. Patients admitted to more research-active hospitals have more confidence in staff and are better informed about their condition and medication: Results from a retrospective cross-sectional study. J Eval Clin Pract 2020; Feb; 26(1): 203-208.
- Jonker L, Fisher SJ. The correlation between National Health Service trusts' clinical trial activity and both mortality rates and care quality commission ratings: a retrospective cross-sectional study. Public Health 2018; Apr; 157:1-6.
- How can clinical research improve European health outcomes in cancer? Selby P, Liu L, Downing A et al. Journal of Cancer Policy 2019; 20: 100182.
- Downing A, Morris EJ, Corrigan N et al. High hospital research participation and improved colorectal cancer survival outcomes: a population-based study. Gut 2017; 66 (1): 89–96 January.
- UK National Cancer Patient Experience Survey (NCPES) Keeping the Customer. The UK National Cancer Patient Experience Survey (NCPES) www.ncri.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/Keeping-theCustomer-Satisfied-1.pdf).
- Monitoring of Symptoms, Toxicity and Functioning Using Patient-Reported Outcome Measures. Gilbert A, Selby P, Velikova G. In Problem Solving in Patient-Centred and Integrated Cancer Care. Eds Velikova G, Fallowfield L, Younger J, Board R, Selby P. EBN Health, Oxford, 2018.
- Ma X, Zhang J, Zhong W et al. The diagnostic role of a short screening tool – the Distress Thermometer: a meta-analysis. Support Care Cancer 2014; 22: 1741–55.
- Mitchell AJ, Meader N, Symonds P. Diagnostic validity of the Hospital Anxiety and Depression Scale (HADS) in cancer and palliative settings: a meta-analysis. J Affect Disord 2010; 126: 335–48.
- Velikova G, Booth L, Smith A et al. Measuring quality of life in routine oncology practice improves communication and patient well-being: a randomized controlled trial. J Clin Oncol 2004; 22: 714–24.
- Basch E, Deal AM, Kris MG et al. Symptom monitoring with patient-reported outcomes during routine cancer treatment: a randomized controlled trial. J Clin Oncol 2016; 34: 557–65.
- Denis F, Lethrosne C, Pourel N et al. Randomized Trial Comparing a Web-Mediated Follow-up With Routine Surveillance in Lung Cancer Patients. J Natl Cancer Inst 2017; 109 (9).
- Lizée T, Basch E, Trémolières P et al. Cost-Effectiveness of Web-Based Patient-Reported Outcome Surveillance in Patients With Lung Cancer. J Thorac Oncol 2019; 14 (6): 1012-1020.
- Berry DL, Hong F, Halpenny B et al. Electronic self-report assessment for cancer and self-care support: results of a multicenter randomized trial. J Clin Oncol 2014: 32:199-205.
- Denis F, Basch E, Septans AL et al. Two-Year Survival Comparing Web-Based Symptom Monitoring vs Routine Surveillance Following Treatment for Lung Cancer. JAMA 2019; 321:306-307.
- Basch E, Deal AM, Dueck AC et al. Overall Survival Results of a Trial Assessing Patient-Reported Outcomes for Symptom Monitoring During Routine Cancer Treatment. JAMA 2017; 11; 318 (2): 197-198.
- Chen J, Ou L, Hollis SJ. A systematic review of the impact of routine collection of patient reported outcome measures on patients, providers and health organisations in an oncologic setting. BMC Health Serv Res 2013; 13: 211.
- Kotronoulas G, Kearney N, Maguire R et al. What is the value of the routine use of patient reported outcome measures toward improvement of patient outcomes, processes of care, and health service outcomes in cancer care? A systematic review of controlled trials. J Clin Oncol 2014; 32: 1480–501.
- Gensheimer SG, Wu AW, Snyder CF. PRO-EHR Users’ Guide Steering Group; PRO-EHR Users’ Guide Working Group. Oh, the Places We'll Go: Patient-Reported Outcomes and Electronic Health Records. Patient 2018; 11 (6): 591-598.
- Glaser AW, Fraser LK, Corner J et al. Patient-reported outcomes of cancer survivors in England 1–5 years after diagnosis: a cross-sectional survey. BMJ Open 2013; 3: e002317.
- Coens C, Pe M, Dueck AC, et al. International standards for the analysis of quality-of-life and patient-reported outcome endpoints in cancer randomised controlled trials: recommendations of the SISAQOL Consortium. Lancet Oncol. 2020; 21 (2): e83-e96.
- Addario B, Geissler J, Horn MK et al. Including the patient voice in the development and implementation of patient-reported outcomes in cancer clinical trials. Health Expect 2020; 23 (1): 41-51.
- Assessment of Psychological Distress in Cancer. Younger J. In Problem Solving in Patient-Centred and Integrated Cancer Care. Eds Velikova G, Fallowfield L, Younger J, Board R, Selby P. EBN Health, Oxford, 2018.
- NICE Guidance on Cancer Services Improving Supportive and Palliative Care for Adults with Cancer, 2004.
- Fallowfield L, Ratcliffe D, Jenkins V et al. Psychiatric morbidity and its recognition by doctors in patients with cancer. Br J Cancer 2001; 84: 1011–15.
- Social Difficulties of Cancer Patients. Wright P, Selby P. In Problem Solving in Patient-Centred and Integrated Cancer Care. Eds Velikova G, Fallowfield L, Younger J, Board R, Selby P. EBN Health, Oxford, 2018.
- Wright P, Downing A, Morris EJA, et al. Identifying social distress: a cross-sectional survey of social outcomes 12 to 36 months after colorectal cancer diagnosis. J Clin Oncol 2015; 33: 3423–30.
- Timmons A, Gooberman-Hill R, Sharp L. The multidimensional nature of the financial and economic burden of a cancer diagnosis on patients and their families: qualitative findings from a country with a mixed public-private healthcare system. Support Care Cancer 2013; 21 (1): 107-117.
- World Health Organization. National cancer control programmes: policies and managerial
guidelines. 2nd ed. Geneva: WHO, 2002.
- World Health Organization. WHO Definition of Palliative Care. Available from https://www.who.int/cancer/palliative/definition/en/
Accessed 10 September 2019.
- Integration of Palliative Care Support into Oncology Practice. Ziegler L, Bennett MI. In Problem Solving in Patient-Centred and Integrated Cancer Care. Eds Velikova G, Fallowfield L, Younger J, Board R, Selby P. EBN Health, Oxford, 2018.
- Integration of Supportive Care into Oncology Clinics Ensures Best Practice for Patients with Metastatic Cancer. Coleby T, Turner L, Wardley AM. In Problem Solving in Patient-Centred and Integrated Cancer Care. Eds Velikova G, Fallowfield L, Younger J, Board R, Selby P. EBN Health, Oxford, 2018.
- Temel JS, Greer JA, Muzikansky A, et al. Early palliative care for patients with metastatic nonsmall-cell lung cancer. N Engl J Med 2010; 363: 733–42.
- Page A, Bennett MI. The provision of palliative care in the UK: how does the research evidence compare with current practice? In End of Life Choices for Cancer Patients: An International Perspective. Eds Board RE, Bennett MI, Lewis P, Wagstaff J, Selby P. EBN Health, Oxford, 2020.
- Vanbutsele G, Pardon K, Van Belle S et al. Effect of early and systematic integration of palliative care in patients with advanced cancer: a randomised controlled trial. Lancet Oncol 2018; 19 (3): 394-404.
- Vanbutsele G, Van Belle S, Surmont V et al. The effect of early and systematic integration of palliative care in oncology on quality of life and health care use near the end of life: A randomised controlled trial. Eur J Cancer 2020; 124:186-193.
- Smith TJ, Temin S, Alesi ER et al. American Society of Clinical Oncology provisional clinical opinion: the integration of palliative care into standard oncology care. J Clin Oncol 2012; 30: 880–7.
- Janssens A, Teugels L, Kohl S et al. Practical tools for implementing early palliative care in advanced lung cancer. Eur Respir J 2016; 47 (3): 1010-1012.
- Janssens A, Derijcke S, Lefebure A et al. Addressing the Palliative Setting in Advanced Lung Cancer Should Not Remain a Barrier: A Multicenter Study. Clin Lung Cancer 2017; 18 (4): e283-e287.
- Albreht T, Borrás Andrés JM, Dalmas M et al. Survivorship and rehabilitation: policy recommendations for quality improvement in cancer survivorship and rehabilitation in EU member states. In: Albreht T, Kiasuwa R, Van den Bulcke M, eds. European guide on quality improvement in comprehensive cancer control. Ljubljana: National Institute of Public Health, 2017; 135–64.
- First EORTC Cancer Survivorship Summit, European Journal of Cancer Supplement, 2014, 12, (1), 1-64.
- Liu L, O'Donnell P, Sullivan R et al. Cancer in Europe: Death sentence or life sentence? Eur J Cancer 2016 Sep; 65, 150-155.
- Saul H, Liu L, Meunier F. Call for action to end discrimination against cancer survivors. Journal of Cancer Policy 2018; 17, 1-3.
- Massart M. A long term survivor’s perspective on supportive policy for a better access to insurance, loan and mortgage. Journal of Cancer Policy 2018; 15, 70-71.
- US National Coalition for Cancer Survivorship. www.canceradvocacy.org
- National Cancer Institute follow up care after cancer treatment, 2010. Available from https://www.cancer.gov/aboutcancer/coping/survivorship/followupcare/followupfactsheet
- ECPC website on the right to be forgotten
- Scocca G. and Meunier F. A right to be forgotten for cancer survivors: A legal development expected to reflect the medical progress in the fight against cancer. Journal of Cancer Policy 2020; 25: 1-4.
- Survivorship and Rehabilitation: Recommendations from a European Perspective. Albreht T, Berling C, Ferrari C, Kaasa S, Travado L. In Problem Solving in Patient-Centred and Integrated Cancer Care. Eds Velikova G, Fallowfield L, Younger J, Board R, Selby P. EBN Health, Oxford, 2018.
- Cancer Survivorship. Calman L, Foster C. In Problem Solving in Patient-Centred and Integrated Cancer Care. Eds Velikova G, Fallowfield L, Younger J, Board R, Selby P. EBN Health, Oxford, 2018.
- Keesing S, McNamara B, Rosenwax L. Cancer survivors’ experience of using survivorship care plans: a systematic review of qualitative studies. J Cancer Surviv 2015; 9: 260
- Fertility Issues in Cancer Treatment. Lee R, Armstrong A. In Problem Solving in Patient-Centred and Integrated Cancer Care. Eds Velikova G, Fallowfield L, Younger J, Board R, Selby P. EBN Health, Oxford, 2018.
- Partridge AH, Gelber S, Peppercorn J et al. Web-based survey of fertility issues in young women with breast cancer. J Clin Oncol 2004; 22 (20): 4174-4183.
- Zanagnolo V, Sartori E, Trussardi E et al. Preservation of ovarian function, reproductive ability and emotional attitudes in patients with malignant ovarian tumors. Eur J Obstet Gynecol Reprod Biol 2005; 123 (2): 235-243.
- Klosky JL, Simmons JL, Russell KM et al. Fertility as a priority among at-risk adolescent males newly diagnosed with cancer and their parents. Support Care Cancer 2015; 23 (2): 333-341.
- Psychosexual Difficulties after Cancer. White I, Grayer J. In Problem Solving in Patient-Centred and Integrated Cancer Care. Eds Velikova G, Fallowfield L, Younger J, Board R, Selby P. EBN Health, Oxford, 2018.
- Prokupkova A, Rosàs C, Rommel W
- Mission letter. European Commission, Brussels, 1 December 2019. https://ec.europa.eu/commission/commissioners/sites/comm-cwt2019/files/commissioner_mission_letters/missionletterstellaKyriakides_en.pdf
Our regular update, direct to your inbox
Sign up for 'Quarterly'