Prof. Shlomo Vinker MD MHA, President WONCA Europe
- 59 years old, married with four children, living in Ashdod (A port and recreation city on the Mediterranean coast).
- An active family physician, working in an urban clinic.
- Full Professor in Family Medicine, associate Dean for community teaching, and former Chair of the Department of Family Medicine at the Faculty of Medicine, Tel Aviv University, Tel Aviv.
- Published more than 230 research papers in peer reviewed medical journals cited in PubMed.
- WONCA EUROPE - Member at large(2016-2019), President Elect(2019-2021), President(2021-)
- EGPRN - Executive board member (2015-2022), and chair of the educational committee (2018-2022).
- IAFP (The Israeli Association of Family Physicians) – Chairman (2009-2018), honorary treasurer (2018-). As chairman I led a change in the residency program, shifting most of the residency time outside the hospital wards to family medicine and ambulatory setting. Under my leadership, IAFP founded a plan for research grants, which gave a long the years hundreds of thousands of dollars to encourage research in family medicine. I founded an open Wiki website with high quality medical information, having now around 6,500 articles and millions of annual entries.
- Leumit Health Services - Chief Medical Officer (2015-) of a nationwide healthcare organization serving about 720,000 members.
- Established a research institute in Leumit and chairing it from 2018 aiming to enhance research capacity in family medicine and primary care. We published more than 30 COVID-19 related publications. One of them “Low plasma 25(OH) vitamin D level is associated with increased risk of COVID-19 infection: an Israeli population-based study” had been cited 430 times since its publication.
Our regular update, direct to your inbox
Sign up for 'Quarterly'